Thank you for taking time to visit Miss Marohl's classroom website! This site is intended for communicating important happenings in our classroom! Thank you for all your continued support you give your child to succeed in Fifth Grade!
Classroom Schedule (2016 - 2017)
Music 9:30 - 10:00 am
PE 10:00 - 10:30 am
Music 8:30 - 9:00 am
PE 9:00 - 9:30 am
Library 9:10 - 9:50 am
Breakfast begins - 7:45 am
Students may be dropped off - 7:50 am
Bell rings for students to enter building - 8:10 am
Tardy Bell - 8:20 am
Lunch - 11:45-12:20pm
Recess - 12:20 - 12:45 pm
Dismissal - 3:15 pm
Guidance 9:00 - 9:30 am
Computer 9:30 - 10:30 am
Art 8:30 - 9:20 am
- Snacks: Students are responsible for bringing their own snack each day. I do not do a snack calendar. Remember, no candy and the snacks must be peanut free! Please take a look at the Peanut/Tree Nut Policy here.
- OCEAN Binder: The OCEAN (Organized Communication Every Achiever Needs) binder will be used as a form of communication to students/parents from our classroom. It will include a copy of the newsletter, reading log, planner, and more.
- Student Absent: If your child is going to be gone or leaving early please send an email to myself in advance or day of to Paula in the office before 2 pm. If we have not heard from you, we will send your child home as planned.
- Water Bottle: Your child's water bottle will be sent home every Friday so it can be washed and sent back to school on the following Monday.
- Box Tops: Save your Box Tops and send to school with your child.
- Tiger Tuesday: Please check the Tiger Tuesday Shutterfly website that is emailed out each Tuesday for important information, upcoming dates, and notes.
- Reading Logs: Your child will be responsible for reading 100 minutes each week as a portion of their reading homework. The reading logs will be inside of their OCEAN binder folder and must be returned each MONDAY. The reading log must be signed by an adult and a new one will come home each Monday.
- Spelling Notebook: Each week, students will receive a spelling notebook assignment. This will be handed out on Monday and expected to be finished and handed in on Friday before our spelling test. The assignment includes the students sorting the words into categories based on the word study skill for the week, choosing an option from the Choice A column (which will be pasted into the front of their notebook. Choice A helps develop the phonics in the word.), and choosing an option from the Choice B column (which will also be pasted into the front of their notebook. Choice B helps develop an understanding of the definition of the word.) We will not spend a lot of time on spelling words during the week. This will be a repeated homework assignment each week and must be done outside of the classroom.
- Daily Planner: We will be utilizing the planner the school provides every day this year. We will take 5-10 minutes at the end of the day to review homework and the due dates. I will post the daily homework under the "Daily Planner" tab on my website. Planners are expected to be filled out in its entirety and signed by a parent or guardian every night.
- Birthday Celebrations: If your child has a birthday that falls within the school year, we will have a small celebration on that day or the closest day, if we do not have school. If your child's birthday is in the summer, we will celebrate their birthday in May. If your child would like to bring a treat to share with the class, we will spend 10-15 minutes on the celebration, but no obligations. We do have a peanut-safe classroom for the safety of the students with peanut allergies. No peanut or peanut butter treats or snacks please. I also need you to READ THE LABELS to make sure nothing is made or processed in a facility that contains peanuts. It would be very helpful for you to send the labels along so I can entrust the treat is safe. Thank you so much!
- CNN Student News: During snack, we will be watching CNN Student News. This will always be previewed in advance in case there are any sensitive subjects covered. You can also preview the daily student news here.
- Weekly Newsletters: I will be sending home a weekly newsletter with your child, who will place it in their OCEAN binder. This newsletter can also be found on my website under the Study Tools tab. It will list the spelling and vocabulary words for the following week, upcoming dates, important reminders, and information about what we have been doing in our classroom that week.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDERS -- ONLINE
All of our reading tests will be taken weekly, usually on Fridays, online using the iPads. These tests will include a comprehension test, vocabulary test, and a grammar test over the skills and story we have read that week. Sometimes, a phonics test will be given as well going over a skill we have studied throughout the week. You as parents can log in as your child to the Think Central website and check their scores. This will be the only way to see how they are doing on these tests. Our classroom textbook is also online so rereading the story at home is an option.
Usernames and Passwords have been sent home with your child and are in their Tiger Binder.